Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Wonder if there are any legalities involved with flying "out of date" flags?

For some reason this morning, I got to checking and discovered that Alaska became a state in January of 59, and Hawaii became one in August.  I thought, "Hmmm.  Only 8 months.  Did they actually MAKE a 49-star flag?  How did they pattern the stars?  Yes they did, seven rows of seven. 

That took me to "Hmmmmm again.  I live in Alaska (just for the sake of this ponder), so I'll fly a 49-star flag, because that's for MY STATE.  Screw them southerners."

That, of course, took me to, "Hmmmmmmmmmm once more.  Which was Florida?  27th.  27-star flag?  Yep, they're available.  Wonder if it's legal for me to fly a 27-star flag?"

Now, logically, if it is illegal to fly the 27, it would be just as illegal to fly the 49, but the 49 would not be as noticeable.

6 comments:

  1. Perfectly acceptable, Alpo. They are "official" flags of the U.S. and therefore maintain their status. The Betsy Ross is still an official U.S. flag (and the only one that I will fly until the current squatter in the people's house is evicted).

    ReplyDelete
  2. SaddleLT, I'd love to have a 48-star flag, as that is the one I was born under.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But Pops, I thought when you were born, the flag only had 32 stars. That was just before the War of Northern Aggression,of course. ;)

      Delete
  3. Pops, you'll probably remember one of my favorites:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZBTyTWOZCM&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.usflagdepot.com

    They have your 48 star flag, Pops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alpo, in answer to your 49 star flag, yes they did.
    http://usflag.org/history/images/49star.gif (I haven't figured out how to post a pic yet.)

    ReplyDelete