Saturday, June 21, 2014

Have taken down thefirearmslounge ......

Have removed thefirearmslounge due to performance of "multiple"
free host services. I apologize for the failure to keep a forum up
for us.

Please enjoy the blog we have thanks to Pops.

regards,


1shot1k

23 comments:

  1. Looks like it just got hi-jacked. The address bar said CPU exceeded, redirecting... Then went to: http://www.hostinger.co.uk/?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, same here. Clicking on the link, or even inputting the site address manually takes me only to the host's website, not to our website on the server host. It looks like an automatic redirect. It's a Limey conspiracy, I say, the ghost of George III must be about, getting even with those dastardly colonists for revolting. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting the same redirect. I was able to sign in this AM, but now get the master host.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, same here, Pops. Seemed OK this morning, but it's 11:40 PM Mountain Time here, and I still get the same redirect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back up now....will explain later..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did it again at 1357 my time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not up now, 1shot, at least not for me. All I can get is that damn hosting website. I'm thinking it's about time to say "to hell with it."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been working on it and several options...but I suppose with
    the attitude so quickly shown then you are right...


    The hell with it....

    Goodbye all

    ReplyDelete
  9. Randall, this is common on any host in the beginning. Perhaps we do need to say "to hell with" this site and look in to a different one. Let's do some research before tossing the whole forum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Pops, that was the point I was trying to make. It seems pretty clear at this point that the only thing this web host is after is to subtly coerce their "free" patrons into buying their paid services. There ain't no no such thing as a free lunch, or the drinks would cost half as much. Any web host that advertises it's "free" is going to have some kind of backhand gimmick to generate a paid subscription. If this thing is to fly, we're going to need a paid hosting site for it, and that likely means some sort of member assessment. It would have to be some sort of shared expense, one to which I would be happy to contribute if there are others of a like mind.

      Delete
  10. P.S.
    Never had an issue on the free side, we opted for the payment of 15.99/mo to keep it ad free and off the listings. Just FYI

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1shot...your discouragement and frustration is more than understandable. Although I have not a clue how to do what you've done, I do know that when someone spends hours/days/weeks devoted to a project, only to have it not work out as desired or imagined, is defeating.

    As has been said by others, please don't take "our" disappointment or frustration as a personal insult or criticism of your efforts. My goodness, none of us would do that! If I can speak for the rest of us, we are frustrated by the roadblocks that have stood in the way of you successfully completing what you set out to do. We empathize with you!

    We were all hoping for a new forum...that's what kept us hopping from the blog to the Lounge and checking back to see how things were going.

    I commend you for your perseverance. And if a small annual fee from each member is what it takes to keep us together on a new format, I hope you, Pops, Pistol and LT will put your heads together and come up with an amount and put it up to vote, as it were.

    Let's not jump ship quite yet if we don't have to.

    Thanks for your efforts, 1shot; they are not lost on us.

    J~

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm working on a solution, but it will take a bit of money. I don't yet know how much but I'm a little broke just now. I laid out for another purchase of radios for the local Militia and associates just before this came up. I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pops, let me know when and if I may contribute--funds and/or effort-- to whatever solution you're working on. Anything realistic we try will inevitably cost to some degree, so don't hesitate to ask. Obviously, we'll want to keep the initial and recurring expenses to a reasonable minimum, but nothing is going to happen for free.

      Delete
    2. The new one looks pretty good and the master company has a good reputation. The thing I'm concerned about right now is retaining the domain name. We need to know who the registrar is and who is the registered owner.

      Delete
  13. 1shot, if we get a PHB board, can you set up the forum with what you already have? It is very good and I'd like to keep your work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am checking things and costs. I have some experience in
    these areas. There a couple important things to consider (major)

    I will make a new post here later for comments and suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just sent you and Pistol an email on a thought I had.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I vote for SMF. My pellet grill site is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete